Today I'd like to share a new twist on how to cook your Christmas goose. I guarantee everyone will love this recipe. You'll only be using the breast, but don't throw away the rest of the bird, you can use it for jerky or to make stuffing. You'll want to start your preparation the day before cooking to allow time for marinating.
You will need:
- Soy Sauce
- Pork Sausage (I prefer spicy)
- Gallon size zip lock bag
Here's what you do:
- Cut both halves of the breast from the keel bone.
- Butterfly each of these halves. They will resemble a hot dog bun at this point.
- In the zip lock bag, place an equal amount of Coca-Cola and soy sauce. You'll need enough to completely submerse the meat.
- Place the meat in the marinade. Put in the refrigerator overnight.
- The next morning, remove meat from marinade
- Roll pork sausage into hot dog shapes
- Place sausage inside the marinated meat, just as you would put a hot dog inside a bun
- Fold meat over
- Wrap with 3-4 slices of bacon, securing each with a toothpick
- Repeat the steps with the other half
- Preheat oven or smoker to 300 degrees
- Cook until the sausage is done, approximately one hour
- Cool, and cut into wedges.
This meat can be served as a main dish, or as an appetizer, served cold with cheese and crackers.
Support for High Plains Outdoors comes from the Dallas Safari Club and Brute Outdoors. Since 1972, Dallas Safari Club has been the gathering point for hunters, conservationists and wildlife enthusiasts. This year’s convention is January third through the sixth. More information on line at: biggame.org. Support also comes from Brute Outdoors, home of the Brute Box Cooler. Online at BruteOutdoors.com.