Grab your cast iron skillet with a lid, and get ready to make an entire meal with venison in one pan.
- Melt 3/4 stick of unsalted, real butter in the cast iron skillet
- Season venison steak with your favorite seasoning
- Brown over medium heat
- Reduce flame to a simmer level
- Add several carrots, but in quarters, lengthwise. You can put the carrots under the meat, because it will take longer for them to cook.
- Put lid on skillet and cook for 15 minutes. You may need to add a small amount of water, but do not cover the meat with water.
- Add one large onion
- Cover and cook for 15 minutes
- Stir well, deglazing bottom of the pan
- Add more water, bring content to a boil.
- You may add potatoes or egg noodles, as well as water to cover content.
- Cook for an additional 20 minutes until noodles or potatoes are done.
Support for High Plains Outdoors comes from the Dallas Safari Club and Brute Outdoors. Since 1972, Dallas Safari Club has been the gathering point for hunters, conservationists and wildlife enthusiasts. This year’s convention is January third through the sixth. More information on line at: big game.org. Support also comes from Brute Outdoors, home of the Brute Box Cooler. Online at BruteOutdoors.com.