Fireworks Safety Tips
By Cindee Talley • Jun 30, 2013
The Fourth of July is Thursday. Many will celebrate Independence Day with friends, family, and fireworks.
To help keep everyone safe on the High Plains, here are some tips from the official United States government website:
- The best way to enjoy fireworks is to visit public fireworks displays put on by professionals.
- If you plan to use fireworks, make sure they are legal in your area.
- Never light fireworks indoors or near dry grass.
- Always have a bucket of water and/or a fire extinguisher nearby. Know how to operate the fire extinguisher properly.
- Do not wear loose clothing while using fireworks.
- Stand several feet away from lit fireworks.
- If a device does not go off, do not stand over it to investigate it. Put it out with water and dispose of it.
- Always read the directions and warning labels on fireworks. If it is not marked with the contents, directions and a warning label, do not light it.
- Supervise children around fireworks at all times.