HPPR hosts & contributors
In memory of parents
Wed July 3, 2013
Lee Fund: Raising Alzheimer's Awareness in SW Kansas
I recently had the opportunity to sit down and talk with Skip Mancini and Jan Evans about a project to raise Alzheimer's awareness in southwest Kansas.
Skip Mancini is the creator and voice of Growing on the High Plains. She also has been profoundly affected by Alzheimer's. Both her parents had the disease.
Jan Evans is the outreach coordinator for the Alzheimer's Association of Central and Western Kansas. She and Skip met during an Alzheimer's event. They began to brainstorm about a partnership that could make a difference. Out of their planning, the Lee Fund was conceived in honor of Skip's parents.
Funded by Skip and her husband, Vincent, the fund offers:
- a 24-hour helpline for families
- use of an Alzheimer's lending library
- presentations to organizations interested in learning more about Alzheimer's disease
- inservices to healthcare workers to better equip them to care for this special population
- physician outreach packets to area physicians on request
- development of community support groups
- family counseling and respite scholarships to families and caregivers of persons with Alzheimer's disease
The number for the 24 hour helpline is: 800-272-3900.
Jan Evans can be reached at: 316-267-7333.
Skip Mancini also talked about this project for a feature article in Garden City Telegram .
If you'd like to help, an Alzheimers' Walk is scheduled on September 21, 2013 at the Lee Richardson Zoo in Garden City, KS. Find out more here.