HPPR hosts & contributors
High Plains Outdoors Episode
Thu February 14, 2013
One Skillet Camp Breakfast
This breakfast is easy to make, and easy to clean up. The only pan you need is a cast iron skillet.
Here's what you do:
- Put a little olive oil in the cast iron skillet
- Cube up a few potatoes (2-3)
- Start the potatoes browning in the skillet
- When the potatoes are almost done, add yellow onion
- Add cubed smoked ham ( I use my own smoked ham, see previous posts for recipes.)
- Add chopped bell pepper
- Cook until onions are translucent
- Season with fajita seasoning or salt and pepper
- Take your spatula and move everything to the outside of the skillet
- Add a small amount of unsalted butter to coat skillet the middle of the skillet
- Break 3 eggs into the cleared area, then scramble them
- Now, incorporate all ingredients in the pan together
- Pour all ingredients into a waiting bowl
- Return the skillet to the heat
- Place tortillas in the skillet to warm
- While tortillas are warm, spoon your waiting breakfast filling in, roll it up, and wha-la! A delicious one-skillet breakfast!
The ingredients for this recipe are very flexible. You can use any kind of meat you have available, a variety of vegetables, and, of course, you can increase or decrease the ingredient volume to accommodate the number of people joining you around the campfire.